Sri Lanka Government Admits Warning Was Ignored Ahead Of Bomb Attack *IGP Jayasundara resigns

Following the recent bomb blast attack on Easter Sunday, 21st April 2019 in Colombo Sri Lanka after a bomb blasts that destroyed three churches and three high-end hotels in the country, the government has admitted that some intelligence officers were aware of this incidence, but failed to take possible actions before the suicide attack was being carried out.

The Sri Lanka’s Inspector General of Police, Pujith Jayasundara, has resigned over the deadly attacks, according to President Maithripala Sirisena.

President Sirisena told reporters. “The IGP has resigned. He has sent his resignation to the acting defence secretary. I’ll nominate a new IGP soon,”

This was coming after two government officials have eluded to intelligence failures. This includes the Telecommunications Minister Harin Fernando who in his tweet said that, “Some intelligence officers were aware of this incidence. Therefore there was a delay in action. Serious action needs to be taken as to why this warning was ignored.”

And also Mano Ganeshan, the minister for national integration, said the security officers within his ministry had been warned by their division about the possibility of two suicide bombers targeting politicians.

According to reports, one of the major suicide bombers behind the Sri Lanka suicide attacks was former UK student Abdul Lathief Jameel Mohamed. Mohamed is believed to have studied in the southeast of England at some point between 2006 and 2007 – and later did a postgraduate course in Australia, before returning to settle in Sri Lanka.

Police spokesman Ruwan Gunasekera said the continued search of homes across the Indian Ocean island nation overnight, as led to the detention of 18 more people. That brings the number of people taken in for questioning to close to 60, including one Syrian. He also said the Criminal Investigation Department investigating the blasts will look into the reports of negligence.

The overnight raids included areas near the Gothic-style St Sebastian church in Negombo, north of the capital, where scores were killed on Sunday. An unspecified number of people were detained in western Sri Lanka according to the police.

Sri Lanka population is over 22 million people which include minority Christians, Muslims and Hindus. Until now, Christians had largely managed to avoid the worst of the island’s conflict and communal tensions.

President Sirisena, in his speech expressed his condolences to the affected victim of the bomb blast. He also made known his plans to change some of his defense chiefs after criticism that intelligence warnings of an Easter attack were ignored.

Most of those killed and wounded were Sri Lankans, although government officials said 38 foreigners were also included.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *